Last week, we told you about two bills, a Senate passed bill, S. 1260, the United States Innovation and Competition Act (USICA), and its counterpart in the House, H.R. 4521, the America COMPETES Act. In the coming weeks, these two bills will be combined into one in what is called a “conference committee” between the two chambers and sent back to each chamber for a new vote. Our union is working very hard to make sure the new combined bill contains the critical pro-worker, pro-manufacturing provisions contained in the COMPETES Act.
New polling from Data for Progress finds a strong majority of voters, regardless of their political leanings, support the America COMPETES Act by a +65-point margin. This includes Democrats by a +78-point margin, Independents by a +63-point margin, and Republicans by a +53-point margin.
It’s the right bill and the right time to invest in American competitiveness, domestic manufacturing, job creation, and research and development.
Priorities such as:
- Providing Security for U.S. Workers by making two programs, Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) permanent.
- Improving Our Trade Policy by including the Leveling the Playing Field Act 2.0.
- Strengthening Supply Chains by establishing a Manufacturing Supply Chain Resilience Program.
- Protecting Workers’ Rights with pro-worker provisions to keep corporations in check by including guardrails to prevent abuse of funds and encourage domestic investment.
- Investing in Our Future by supporting investment in semi-conductor manufacturing to maintain U.S. leadership in this vital technology.
Call and Email Your Senators Today!
Click HERE to Send an Email to Your Senators
or Scan the QR Code Below.
Senate Toll-Free Number:
(Remember to make two calls to be connected to both your Senators.)
Tell them who you are, where you are from, and to ensure the pro-worker provisions of the America COMPETES Act – TAA, the Health Coverage Tax Credit, workers’ rights, and trade enforcement are included in the merged bill.
Click HERE for a printable version to distribute in your workplace.
Click HERE for a Spanish version.
If you are unable to open it properly, please try another browser.
(412) 562-2291 http://www.uswrr.org