The Annual Leave Buy Back Program provides employees an optional, monetary
incentive for attaining optimal attendance throughout the calendar year. If eligible,
Employees may have the opportunity to redeem up to five (5) days of unused sick
and/or vacation time (please see union contracts for your eligibility). Employees are
paid based on their specified pay schedule (pay scale) as on December 31, 2022.
SICK LEAVE BUY BACK ELIGIBILITY:
- Employed and active on the City of Boston payroll as of December 31, 2022.
- Employed between January 1 and June 30, 2022.
- Used less than five (5) days of sick leave in calendar year 2022.
The Annual Leave Buy Back Program launches today!
WHAT IS THE ANNUAL LEAVE BUY BACK PROGRAM?
The Annual Leave Buy Back Program provides an optional monetary incentive for eligible employees that utilize less than 5 days of sick leave throughout the calendar year.
While the Leave Buy Back option is available to eligible employees, you should continue to utilize sick leave to address any health concerns or missed work for absences due to illness. If you have any questions about utilizing sick leave, please reach out to your department’s HR Manager/Personnel Officer.
If you are eligible, you may have the opportunity to redeem up to five (5) days of unused sick and/or vacation time, and be paid for those hours at your hourly rate as of December 31, 2022.
WHEN WILL THIS PROGRAM RUN?
The Annual Leave Buy Back Program will run from March 1, 2023 through March 17, 2023. The payout associated with this program will be completed by the end of March 2023.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE IN THE LEAVE BUY BACK PROCESS?
To participate in the Leave Buy Back process, please follow the instructions below:
- Log onto access.boston.gov;
- Click on the Employee Self-Service tile;
- Click on the Leave Buy Back Request tile which can be found under the Finances & Time Tracking section;
- Complete the form by entering requested HOURS and click SUBMIT;
- Once your request has been successfully submitted, you will receive an automated confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact your Department HR Manager/Personnel Officer.
- Payment will be processed by payroll on a rolling basis, dependent on your pay cycle. Balance(s) will be reduced accordingly.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR ELIGIBILITY:
Please reference the Annual Leave Buy Back Fact sheet attached to this email. It provides information around eligibility and the Leave Buy Back process as a whole.
Please contact your HR Manager/Personnel Officer if you have any additional questions about your eligibility and the process.
Please submit a ticket through the Beacon Portal with any questions or concerns.
The Office of Human Resources