The PRO Act is Back!
It’s time to pass the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act.
On February 6, 2020, nearly a full year ago, the House passed the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act on a bipartisan basis by a vote of 224-194. Unfortunately, the Senate did not bring the bill up for a vote in their chamber, so it did not move forward. It’s a now a new session of Congress, and it is a priority to move what we know is the most comprehensive pro-labor legislation since the establishment of the National Labor Relations Act of 1935.
The PRO Act will:
- Establish stronger and swifter remedies to stop employers from breaking the law.
- Make companies recognize contractors as part of the collective bargaining process so they can no longer continue to whittle down our membership by subcontracting.
- Ensure an employer reaches a first contract in a timely manner with a newly organized group of workers. No more dragging out first contracts.
- Reverse so-called Right to Work, regardless of state laws.
- Prohibit employers from forcing employees to attend anti-union meetings.
- And much more!
The Committee on Education and labor plan to reintroduce the PRO Act in the coming weeks and this critical legislation could get a vote in the U.S. House soon after. We need to urge our Representatives to become an original cosponsor of the bill so we can expand protections for workers to exercise their rights to join a union and bargain collectively for better wages and working conditions. The COVID-19 pandemic has revealed that far too many workers do not have access to basic workplace safety protections, health care, or paid leave. Protecting the right to organize is therefore essential for ensuring a just recovery.
Please help us build support by emailing and making a call to your Representative today.
- Click HERE to send an email to your Representative.
- Dial our toll-free number to the U.S. House: 866-202-5409. You will be automatically routed to your Representative’s office.
- Tell the office who you are and where you are from, and ask your Representative to be an original cosponsor of the PRO Act.
Click HERE for a printable version to distribute in your workplace.
(412) 562-2291 www.uswrr.org